This banner text can have markup.
The Open Source Musician - connecting musicians and producers to open tools
Episode 80 - Tunestorm 15 Reveal: Riff It! Riff It Good!
Themesong by: Pipeman
Email: contributions AT opensourcemusician.com
see our wiki: opensourcemusician.com
find all our episodes: https://archive.org/details/osmpodcast
http://users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/ - radium V4 released
https://community.ardour.org/node/13842 -- A5 released!
http://guitarix.org - new smart-wah and slow gear lv2 plugins
Tunestorm #15 - Riff It! Riff It Good!
The rule/theme: There are two riffs here by Jason Harrer (JazzyEagle) that you must incorporate into a song. You can perform your own versions, use the samples found in the link, use the midi file, use other riffs with these, use them as the melody, use any instruments you like, just write a song with these two riffs somewhere in it.
Composed in lilypond "the old way" (pen and paper so to speak). Converted to midi and then imported in ardour4.
Rendered to music using
* nobudget orchestra samples for the bass guitar (sorry JazzyEagle! yours sounded much better, but I needed some more variations)
* yoshimi for the pads and electric piano-like sounds,
* hydrogen for the drums (I have to admit I reused demo song patterns. Identifying myself mostly as a "classical" musician, these drums are the bane of my existence),
* a slightly tweaked physical flute model, the untweaked version of which comes as an example with the excellent Faust DSP compiler. I also cranked up the nonlinearity parameter high enough to get an almost Duduk-like sound.
Started with the riff and headed one direction, then got inspired and ended up with a totally different song. :p
Tunefish 4 as only sound source
OS Linux Mint + kxstudio repos
kudos to ATN69 for the Organ Patch :-)
DAW Qtractor 0.7.8
20 x Tunefish 4.1.0 beta 4
1 x Calf Equalizer 12 band
1 x Calf Limiter
1 x Calf Vintage Delay
5 x Carla Patchbay
6 x CS10QS Stereo Compressor
5 x EQ10QS
6 x EQ4QS
7 x EQ6QS
2 x GT10QS Gate
2 x Midi Key Filter
1 x Stereo Amplifier
2 x Stereo Balance (Stereo to mono)
1 x Tal Filter 2 (Auto Pan)
4 x Tal Reverb II
8 x VoPa Stereo (Volume and Panning control)
Tools used: Ardour4, rkr and infamous plugins, Helm, Mverb, AVL red zepplin kit in linuxsampler, barry’s satan maximizer, TAP tubewarmth, x42 eq and CS10Qm compressor. Maybe others. Lots and lots of editing. Let me know if you want any particulars.
As can be heard, riff1 is the intro and throughout the chorus, while riff2 is the played by the bass during the bridge.
Ended up using the usual suspects: Ardour, Hydrogen, Linuxsampler. Plugin-wise included Calf Reverb and Compressors, and ZamEQ. But, for the first time I used DrumGizmo for the drums and their Muldjord kit.
I had good fun putting this together, and am quite happy with the result.
i took the samples, and arranged them into a type of song, that i played a melody and solo over..
micrometer is the title..
i used ardour to track all the tracks.. there is a stereo track that has the samples arranged.. i added 3 percussion tracks that i made with 3 different cymbals, tracked in different ways, with a tube condenser mic. then, i used a dynamic mic to track the guitar part, mic-ing a tube combo amp.. that single guitar track has the melody and solo.. i pulled the project over to mixbux to mix and export.. it was fun to make, and i hope you enjoy! it gave me an excuse to get my studio back together after moving..
I started jamming with my guitar using both riffs and decided to play them half-step down so they'd start at the low E and A strings. After some time playing around I created a harmony based on the riffs and used the first one as the verse and the second one as the chorus. Lyrics and vocal melody came after and I added several parts and wrote the whole piece on Tuxguitar.
All the guitars were processed with Guitarix, drums are Hydrogen with Red Rokkit drumkit, synths are Zyn and Calf Monosynth, Bass is FlameStudios GPL fingered Ibanez and additional instruments are Sonatina Orchestra. Vocals were EQed, compressed and layered. Calf plugins were used very liberally.
The recording process was kind of rushed and I'm not too happy with the vocals takes, but that's what I was able to do
I forgot to add that Ardour 5 was used, really important to give credit for this awesome piece of software.
Basically this like an anniversary of sorts for me as i'm fairly new to the Linux world. Started my build about this time last year and have finally gotten to the point where i'm comfortable and everything seems to be working like it should.
That outta the way...
The piece is no more than a catharsis and excuse to throw everything at the wall.
Jason Harrer - Carl Vaulx
Produced and mixed on Ubuntu 16.04 box with Ardour 4.7 - 5.0
Drumgizmo - Hydrogen - Helm - Podolski - Tal Noise Maker
Final touch in Audacity 2.1.2
Special thanks to Michael (mtemmerm) and Marcel (marcellendi) over on the forum (and to all of the folks over there for that matter. I've learned a heck of a lot) for setting up the Hydrogen-Drumgizmo kits. What a combo!
Another that started out with the samples then ended up with something completely different. This is still a work in progress, but [Spencer] wanted to play it.
Made with LMMS on KXStudio.
Uploaded by ssj71 on